A new year's tale.

This little story must be read in the context that I live in rural North
Devon and seldom in this part of the country do we have the opportunity
to see top bands without travelling many many miles.

Over the New Year my wife and I stayed for a few days with my oldest son
near Congleton Cheshire where he now lives.  On new Year's morning he
casually (and blearily) mentioned to me that he 'thought' he had seen a
poster in Congleton saying that Fodens were playing there on New Year's
night.  Did you rush out and buy us some tickets, son?? I said. He
shrugged and intimated that in that neck of the woods he could go and
see a top band playing most times of the year.  So during the day in we
go to a cold and deserted Congleton to search for the poster. In the
town hall I saw a cleaner cleaning up after the night before. Very
helpful, yes he was putting out chairs for a concert that evening,
didn't know what band or what time it started. No other indication at
all.
So later that day, leaving my son and his partner to watch Coronation
Street we went back into Congleton. Seemed just as deserted but now very
dark, cold and wet, but there were quite a few cars around the town
hall.
We went into the foyer to be met by a gaggle of middle-aged men in
evening suits, this didn't seem like the usual front for the brass band
concerts I know and love. Yes they confirmed, Fodens were here tonight
together with Silk Brass, but the hall a large one was full up, but they
could just squeeze us in (at a cost of course).
In we went last two seats in the back row and were met by nearly 50
musicians in the same uniform and yes by their faces (and figures) I
could tell Fodens were there. The two bands treated the large audience
to a wonderful (populist) concert held in aid of a Children's charity
and the audience would not let them go.
Thank you Fodens and Silk Brass for a wonderful experience. I can still
hardly believe that on New Year's night of all nights in a small
Cheshire town the top band in Britain could turn out presumably in
totality (and not forgetting Silk Brass) to entertain the local populace
in such a splendid manner. Thank you Nick Childs and Ken Mackintosh.
If you reach the end thank you for reading this.
John Croker. Bideford Town Band