Eve of 2000

The Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band spent the eve of 2000 at our local "First
Night" celebration in Akron, OH.  Its a family oriented, alcohol free, city
wide celebration, with performance acts going on simultaneously at 30 venues
throughout the city.  Its one of the most fun things we do each year, and
its great to help us build a following.

This year we were put in one of the prime venues, a convention center right
in the middle of things.  Unfortunately, what the organisers consider good
and what the band considers good are not neccessarily the same thing.  We
had a rock band on one side of us, and country line dancing on the other -
separated only by movable (and not very soundproof) walls.  It became a
literal battle of of the bands, and the consensus was that even with all
their amplification, the brass won.

The competing noise did get annoying on our more subtle numbers, such as Jon
Renner's euph solo "O Holy Night", but I think the audience was drawn in
enough to ignore the other noise.  We also had minor problems like no
dressing rooms or warm up room, stiff competition for parking, and acts
before and after us on the same stage limiting our set-up and tear down
time.  Add to that an obstinant union lighting crew who weren't willing to
concede the point that the stage needed to be lit from overhead as well as
from in front for our back row to see their music...and you get the full
picture.

Based on the number of programs given out we had about 1500 hundred people
see at least one of the three sets, so you have to balance the exposure and
the fun of seeing some of the other acts, with the annoyances.  I think its
definately worth it.  Since we are the only brass band in our area - we keep
meeting "virgins" who have never seen a real brass band.  They tend to get
really enthusiastic.

I don't suppose it was "The" night of the millenium in terms of quality of
experience, but most of us with some degree of math literacy feel the
millenium begins next year anyway (No I'm not trying to start a debate on
this....enough already!)

Happy 2000 everyone!

Mary Ellen Lathrop
2nd horn