tormented bands

To Gerry. Your band sounds like the one I have just left. It is nice to play
in a band of high standard but my experience was that this standard was
achieved about 4 times a year when everyone made the effort. The rest of the
time it was pretty average. For anyone who is a 50%er. They would have to be
considered  a casual . Fair enough turn up when they can and enjoy a blow,
be willing to fit in where needed, but not hold a permanent position or take
home one of the bands instruments or music originals. The 80%ers. Could hold
a position where there is doubling such as 4th. Solo cornet, 2nd. 2nd &3rd
cornet, an extra horn, 2nd.eupho, 2nd. Eb & Bb bass and be very nice to the
partner who no doubt will have to make sure the music is all there, in the
right order and marked with changes made during rehearsal.
	You say that the position in your band is tolerated by all. How do you
know? It is very difficult for someone to come up to another team member and
say "What you are doing is not good enough"! People like to be nice, not
create waves. You might only hear it when they have moved on to a more
stable band. You say "as a result we have returned to the Championship
Section" . I would like to suggest it has happened in spite of this lack of
attendance at rehearsals.
	 Whatever the level of  commitment you can put in, you can still enjoy
playing and still make a contribution. I know it is not easy, if you have
been a soloist, to take a supporting role, but one does have to compromise
for the good of all. Kaye.