Sore chops and vaseline

I found them to be a bad combination years ago when I owned a sailboat.
On several occasions I developed lip sores because of wind and sunlight,
vaseline was recommended and my sores turned septic.
I found that most of the time the sores would go in a couple of days if
I cleaned them with surgical alcohol.
It stings, but my poor old Irish Ma said to me many years ago when I was
a whining stripling  "Sure if it hurts and tastes awful,  tis only the
good in it".
It tastes and hurts terrible but it works!
Failing that try Scotch, nuff said ?
BillW