Re: MY THOUGHTS

MARK FLOYD wrote:

>  Not all the players in the bands were what you would call talented, but
> each band had a solid group of players that the band was formed around,
> everybody else played to the best of their abilities.

And this, IMHO is the crux of the subject. The questions should arise not when a
player displays limited ability, but when he/she (albeit tacitly) refuses to do
what is required to play to the best of their abilities, whatever those
abilities may be.
I would much rather have a less able player in my band who works hard, than a
"potential virtuoso" who never gets his/her horn out of the case between
rehearsals. Everyone has differing abilities, all any conductor can ask for is
that all the players around the stands try to acheive their own potential to the
full.
You can work with low ability if they have enthusiasm and commitment, but you
can't do a thing with apathy.

Cheers,
Adrian