Re: Bb to C

I was afraid there would be more to it but I was motivated by my long
memory.
Again, when I was a lad I remember cornets coming equipped with an A
shank which of course lengthened the receiver tubing by two or three
inches in order to lower the instrument a half tone.
I suppose it was presumed that all of the valve slides just required
pulling out to tune the lower half tone.
However, I see the error of my ways and raising the pitch one full tone
would require a severe hacking job.
"Solo Cornets"  remarks re: Bells and Tubing thickness were interesting
since I blindly thought that the only difference they made was to the
mellowness or lack thereof of the instrument.
The reason I thought that was because my American Euphonium by B&H has a
twelve inch bell and a .620 inch tubing inside measurement as opposed to
my fellow players smaller instrument measurements. I suppose my thoughts
while only partially valid  were only part of the over all design
picture.
It's a fascinating subject and tells us that there is more to a good
instrument than just a hunk of pipe with valves and a bell.
More important it assures us that the instrument makers 150 years ago
were just as bright as their modern counterparts.
Maybe more so!
What will I do now?
Study the situation further!
Thanks all