Masters Test Pieces

Philip Biggs wrote:

> The 2000 All England Masters Test-Piece has just been announced along
> with the preferred adjudicators.

Thanks Philip - I have just been to the site and discovered this rather
interesting information.

Band Voting
1st Choice

Contest Music - Heaton - 8, On Alderley Edge - Graham - 7, The New
Jerusalem - Wilby - 4, Revelation - Wilby - 2, Salamander - McCabe - 0,
Songs for BL - Howarth - 0

<>2nd Choice

Contest Music - Heaton - 8, The New Jerusalem - Wilby - 4, Revelation -
Wilby - 4, On Alderley Edge - Graham - 3, Salamander - McCabe - 2, Songs
for BL - Howarth - 0

Way back in 1994 (?) Salamander was used for the Open as many of you will
know. Once again, the interest and enjoyment factor of test pieces became
minimal for a majority of bandsmen.

Myself and Alan Wycherley decided to try and do something about it, and
attempt to get the test piece changed.

To cut a long story short, despite most people agreeing with us, we didn't
receive an awful lot of support from fellow bandies (too frightened to
rock the boat?) but more importantly, we were simply knocked back by the
people in charge.

I particularly remember a discussion with Bram Gay. When I stated that
Salamander was not proving popular with bandsmen and many didn't think
that the audience would enjoy it, his reply to me was - 'Well if you don't
like it, give up banding!' What a positive thing to say.

Getting back to the Masters choices - how ironic that a few years on it
scored 0 for first choice and only 2 for second!!

Monkey

PS - By the way, Mr. Gay was an adjudicator that day and we (BNFL) won. He
was nowhere to be seen after the results were announced!!

PPS - Songs for BL also met with a lot of dissatisfaction and that didn't
score anything!!!

I wonder if the message will ever start getting through?