Re: Masters Test Pieces

Monkey wrote:

> Way back in 1994 (?) Salamander was used for the Open as many of you will
> know. Once again, the interest and enjoyment factor of test pieces became
> minimal for a majority of bandsmen.
>
> Myself and Alan Wycherley decided to try and do something about it, and
> attempt to get the test piece changed.
>
> To cut a long story short, despite most people agreeing with us, we didn't
> receive an awful lot of support from fellow bandies (too frightened to
> rock the boat?) but more importantly, we were simply knocked back by the
> people in charge.

> Getting back to the Masters choices - how ironic that a few years on it
> scored 0 for first choice and only 2 for second!!

> I wonder if the message will ever start getting through?

I'm also thrilled that Contest Music has been chosen - it's a
terrific piece which is great for players and audiences alike.
Ironic though that this piece was rejected and mothballed for many
years because it was considered 'too modern' at the time, with the
consequence that the composer became entirely disenchanted with
composing for band, and perhaps with composing at all.

Nowadays it's considered to be fairly standard repertoire and
doesn't give too many people a problem in terms of it's
musical language, but I'm sure that players would not have voted for
it in 1970, had Philip Biggs offered them the chance.

The real lesson to learn must surely be that all music needs to pass
the test of time, but if we don't get to play it and hear it then we
don't give pieces the opportunity to prove their value.

David