RE: Nerves

Judith Hayes wrote:
> All tips gratefully received.

I worked with a rock band from work, who had never played in public before.
We played for the company christmas party one year.  They were all petrified
of playing in public.

What I told them to do was this: Walk on stage, and mentally put a wall up
at the front of it.  Nothing exists behind that wall.  And then go on and
play just like you are in a practice.  When you've finished, then you can
relax and look out at the people looking in.  But until you've finished,
concentrate and focus your attention on the stage and nothing else.

It's harder for us poor percussionists.  :-)  You brass players can all come
on stage, sit down and concentrate on your part.  We have to run about the
stage, compensate for using someone else's instruments (especially a problem
for keyboard (e.g. xylo) instruments where the one on stage has keys that
are twice as wide as the ones you had in the bandroom), and worry about what
particular part is on which of your seven music stands.  It was especially
difficult one year, when the sheet that came around said there were four
timps on stage, and when we got there, there was only three.  Nightmare...

Tim Sawyer
Percussion
Rothwell Temperance Band
http://www.rtb.org.uk