Re: Masters Test Pieces

Euph4Bob@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Congratulations to David Lancaster on a great reply to the Monkey's comments
> on 'Songs for BL' and 'Salamander'.

> David Lancaster said (amongst more info)
>
> The real lesson to learn must surely be that all music needs to pass
> the test of time, but if we don't get to play it and hear it then we
> don't give pieces the opportunity to prove their value.

Absolutely. But we did get to hear Salamander and we did get to hear BL. We are
now 7 years on from the former and I can't see them ever being as popular as
'ancient moderns' such as Contest Music. By all means let us hear as many pieces
as is possible to produce, but allow negative as well as positive judgement.

On a slightly different tack (sp?) how come 'old' pieces such as Epic, Journey
into Freedom and so on are still popular today? Is it because they had to prove
many years down the line that they were good pieces of music, or have they been
good since day one?

Tha' can't beat a good toune tha' knows!

Monkey