RE: Recording Bands

Hi, John!

Shure SM81s are good, but I use either Nakamichi CM-300s or (believe it or
not...) TOA KY mics.  The TOAs are meant to be used as instument
microphones, but they have a beautiful clear, uncolored sound (to me).  They
are true condensor mics, and as such require phantom power.  The Naks are
electret condensors, and use a 9 volt battery, but as these are scarce over
here in the USA, I made some adaptors for using the small 12V batteries that
are often used in garage door openers.  Thus, I can get replacements in a
hurry by nipping over to a handy drugstore or hardware store.

There is a mailing list called DAT-heads which is all about live recording,
and has many discussions on microphones.  It is aimed at the rock and roll
people, but there's good info there.

Archives of DAT-Heads digests and related files are available on
the DAT-Heads home page:

http://www.eklektix.com/dat-heads/

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark