To BL or not to BL

Gordon A Simpson wrote:

> I cannot object to Contest Music as a choice for Cambridge but it really is
> sad to note that Songs for BL failed to get a single 1st or 2nd vote.

Why does it have to be sad Gordon? Obviously people don't like it.

>  I wonder how many of those responsible for voting have actually taken the
> time
> to get to know the piece?  Yes, it's a tad unapproachable on a first or even
> second hearing but eventually I've grown to consider it a real gem (in many
> ways similar to Howarth's earlier In Memoriam RK, another fine and neglected
> work).

I'm afraid I don't conform to the school of 'if you listen enough times, you'll
get to like it.' Surely a good piece of music will make at least a slight impact
after a couple of hearings?

Of course we are all different and therefore respond to different music. I am
not going to say people who do like BL and Salamander are mad, just that they
are surely in a minority.

Monkey