Re: Masters Test Pieces - Wilfred Heaton

Jeremy Wise wrote:

> The treatment dished out to Wilfred Heaton both in the contesting movement
> and the SA is a disgrace - his piece Toccatta Oh the Blessed Lord was dumped
> on the shelves of the SA for years. His Partita is the most magnificent work
> for band that I have ever heard and it started life in the 1940's as an
> orchestral piece.
>
> Maybe, on this basis, I will grow to like Songs for BL and Salamander in
> another 40 years - or perhaps not.

And to be honest neither of those pieces would accompany me to my
desert island, but I'm not sure that this is relevent.  My point
was simply that we need opportunities to listen to them  - a number
of times, and preferably not 20 performances on the same day - before
we make up our minds about their lasting worth.

David