Re: Masters Test Pieces

Monkey wrote:

> On a slightly different tack (sp?) how come 'old' pieces such as Epic, Journey
> into Freedom and so on are still popular today? Is it because they had to prove
> many years down the line that they were good pieces of music, or have they been
> good since day one?

Interesting question which I'm not able to answer without doing a bit
of research...  But in general those pieces which break new ground at
the time they were written prove unpopular amongst contemporaries but
turn out to be 'classics' once a generation or two has elapsed; the
fuss about Beethoven's late quartets or the Rite of Spring come to
mind, or Spectrum in band music.

But I can remember the turmoil that surrounded Howarth's 'Fireworks'
in '76 (only just!) which all seems very strange now - it's a piece
with lots of tunes and nice major chords.  (I can sing it - badly -
if that's your definition of what a chewn is).  I'm not sure that it
is a good contest piece (which may explain it's infrequent
performances) but it isn't a monster either.

> Tha' can't beat a good toune tha' knows!

Quite.

Cheers
David