RE: Masters Test Pieces

-----Original Message-----
From: JULIE SANDERSON [mailto:zorba1979@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 13 January 2000 23:38
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Masters Test Pieces

Sorry, but am I the only one that actually likes BL?
I heard Black Dyke play it at the Albert Hall and loved it!
Or am I just strange? :-)

Julie
TRMB

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is
music."

Julie,

No, you're not the only one!  I thoroughly enjoyed performing it with
Brighouse on the same occasion.  If I'm honest, though, it was tedious to
rehearse - there are so many pieces to what is quite a musical jigsaw.
During rehearsals, I just kept trying to think how the acoustics (?!?!?!?!?)
of the Royal Albert Hall would probably do it far more justice than the band
room... and I feel I was right.  I'll also admit to being unable to remember
any of the "chewns" (yes, there were some!), but then melody is only one of
many elements in music - great or otherwise.  If Monkey's honest, he would
no doubt admit to finding himself whistling tunes he detests, but finds
irresistibly memorable.  They do have a habit of popping up at the most
inconvenient times, don't they?.  I've even sought medical advice to get a
certain "chewn," that B&R just HAD to play at every concert, removed from my
mental archives (sorry.. just trying to get Martin out of hibernation!).

Dare I mention the opinion of an "outsider" in the audience for "Songs for
BL"?  My brother is certainly not a brass-band fanatic - but he, like me,
has always enjoyed listening to a wide range of music.  He and his partner
were absolutely knocked sideways both by the music and performances of it.
He felt parts of it reminded him of Janacek.  Whether Elgar Howarth was
influenced by that composer I don't know, but I did congratulate EH
(coincidentally at the Masters a couple of years ago) on the piece.
I, too, am looking forward to rehearsing and performing Contest Music for
the Masters, although I am not yet familiar with it.  The practice of
getting bands to vote for their favourites is to be applauded, but don't let
us be drawn to believe that the results prove anything at all about relative
merits.  Bandspeople, like most people, prefer to stay (given the choice)
within a certain "comfort zone."  I guarantee that not all those who voted
were equally familiar with all the options given.  The question of enjoyment
of rehearsal is bound to play a huge part in the decision process - and why
not?  It is a hobby after all.  One thing I do object to is when new pieces
are first rehearsed and players immediately condemn them as "c..p" or worse.
This is the ultimate arrogance, born of ignorance.  Somehow, they already
seem to know the score inside-out (even though they've never heard it
before).  Nothing wrong with saying, "I THINK this c...p now, but maybe
it'll grow on me.  Still nothing wrong (Monkey) with saying - after one,
ten, or forty years - "I still think this is c..p."

Music isn't, and thankfully never will be, a science.  Its subjectivity is -
for me - its main attraction
John McLoughlin

P.S.  "George Bernard Shaw would no doubt have said we were  "debating the
sex  (=gender!) of angels."