Re: To BL or not to BL

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Younghusband <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 January 2000 20:36
Subject: To BL or not to BL

>Gordon A Simpson wrote:
>
>> I cannot object to Contest Music as a choice for Cambridge but it really
is
>> sad to note that Songs for BL failed to get a single 1st or 2nd vote.

Peter Younghusband replied:

>Why does it have to be sad Gordon? Obviously people don't like it.

I wonder whether it is less a case of people not *liking* this sort of
music, and more of them simply lacking the intellectual stamina to make an
objective judgement on its quality.  Certainly, anyone who has taken the
trouble to listen to a representative sample of the music of the last
century (by which I mean the 20th century, of course) would not be
surprised, as so many brass bandsmen seem to be, at the musical language
employed by Howarth  in Songs for BL, or indeed, in a number of his other
compositions.

It seems to me that the brass band community is having a debate about a
particular type of musical language which the rest of the musical world was
having approximately a century ago.  That really is sad.

Alec