Re: Masters Test Pieces

-----Original Message-----
From: John McLoughlin <JohnMcLoughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 January 2000 09:45
Subject: RE: Masters Test Pieces

>-----Original Message-----
>From: JULIE SANDERSON [mailto:zorba1979@xxxxxxxxxxx]
>Sent: 13 January 2000 23:38
>To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Masters Test Pieces

One thing I do object to is when new pieces
>are first rehearsed and players immediately condemn them as "c..p" or
worse.
>This is the ultimate arrogance, born of ignorance.  Somehow, they already
>seem to know the score inside-out (even though they've never heard it
>before).

Back in the 1980s, I vividly recall being told by a band colleague that the
Nationals finals championship test piece set for that year was complete
c**p.  Pressed further, he admitted that he had never actually *heard* the
piece, nor could he tell me who wrote it or what it was called, but a friend
of his who played for Dyke had told him the piece was rubbish - QED!

The piece in question, incidentally, was Cloudcatcher Fells!

Alec