Re: To BL or not to BL

Alec Gallagher wrote:

> Bandspeople are involved in brass bands because they
> >like brass bands....
>
> I'm not even sure that's entirely right.  I've met a quite a large number of
> bandsmen over the years who seem almost proud to admit that they never
> listen to brass bands outside of their own, and that they don't own any band
> CDs, and I bet I'm not the only one.  I've always wonder why they bother
> playing!
>
> Alec

Could this be because they were introduced to it while at a tender age either
through school or through an older relative?
Once you get 'hooked' you do miss the commaderie if you end up on the outside of
things.
I also think that they also get interested in other things such as family
(raising a family,) or if the spouse is not into brass bands then a compromise
is met, thus the ability to blow off with a band, but the music, and sadly to
say, sometimes the instrument stays at the bandroom until the next practise or
venue.
Just MHO.
Larry White
Vancouver BC

ps. I am fortunate, my wife did not have a clue about brass bands when we met,
but she has put up with my antics, playing and collecting of CD and prior to
that numerous vinyl LPs and cassettes for 29 1/2 years and still counting.
lw