Contest Music by Wilfrid Heaton

Dear List

I have been interested to read the recent discussion about test-pieces,
Contest Music and `modern` music in general. However, it seems to be a
popular mis-conception that Contest Music was disregarded in 1973 for the
National because it was deemed as `too modern`. This is not strictly the
case.

Wilfred Heaton was commissioned, I believe, by the National Championships to
compose the 1973 test-piece. At that time the National was run by Geoffrey
Brand. Geoffrey conducted Grimethorpe in 1985 at the Area on the same piece
and we had a brief discussion as to why it was turned down 12 years earlier.
It has to be said that Geoffrey and I have not always seen eye to eye, but I
have no doubt whatsoever that he has more musical integrity than to turn any
commission down on the grounds it was too modern - even in 1973. More to the
point, he explained to me that on his intial perusal of the score it looked
rather bare, with particular underscoring of the 2nd and some of the 3rd
movements, which meant that many players in the band didn`t have enough to
play. We now have the benefit of knowing this masterpiece, and surely one of
its characteristics that makes it such, is the exposed scoring and
tantalising 2nd movement for those involved. However, try taking a step
backwards - put yourself in GB`s position in 1973 and you may be able to
understand his predicament with the brand new score. I can - although I
don`t think it necessarily warrants condemning the score to the dustbin.

Anyway I thought I would just put the record straight, although it would be
very interesting to hear the first hand version again, if Geoffrey or any
other person involved in 1973 reads this list.

Incidentally, while I am writing, can I endorse David Lancaster`s comments
regarding `Modern Music`. How can we expect prominent composers to write for
us, when we treat them in the way Elgar Howarth was treated for BL? `Modern
music` is not c**p, it is just different to what most people are used to and
takes time to become accepted - time some of us are not prepared to give,
which is only to the detriment of our movement.

Alan Morrison