Mini Disc Recording - What Microphone?

Having recently purchased a mini disc player and recorder I now want to be
able to record contests and concerts.  Does anyone have any suggestions as
to what type of microphone I should be looking for?

If anyone understands the technical jargon what are the minimum
specifications I should be looking for?

Steven Le Prevost (Tenor Horn, City of Stoke-on-Trent and Manx Concert
Brass)
steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx