Re: Re B & R and Odyssey

Hi to all on the list from the USA,
The Brass Band Movement is still in a fledgling state here. Even though
there are now brass bands across the continent it is very, very rare to hear
any brass bands on radio.
In St. Louis we are lucky and have a one hour broadcast of brass band music
every month on the local classical station, KFUO-FM, Classic 99. I have
hosted the show, Classic Tracks, weekly  for the past 10 years at 8pm on
Tuesday nights. I have complete freedom to choose the music and the format
has become very popular. in 1998 I started to play BB music and it quickly
evolved into a monthly feature entirely of Brass Bands. I have played
'Contest Music' on the program along with music by most of the established
BB composers; Ball, Vinter, Downie, Simpson, Howarth, Norbury, Graham,
Sparke, Gregson, etc., etc. I get many emails  & phone calls about the music
from a population that had never heard brass bands until a couple of years
ago. The station also broadcast 2 concerts live by the Saint Louis Brass
Band during 1999. I should also point out that KFUO is a commercial station
and has had no problems finding advertisers for the program. One of the
regular sponsors is a local chain of record stores that now carries a
reasonable selection of BB recordings!
The station has a website http://www.classic99.com/home.htm
The American public is a prime audience for bands.

Robin Weatherall
Manager
Saint Louis Brass Band