RE: Mini Disc Recording - What Microphone?

I purposely bought a mini-disc recorder for being able to have a "recording
studio in a bag".
To this end, I have a custom made cable (to go from  to decent balanced
canon connectors)
and linked to a couple of AKG C1000's (I would have liked AKG C4000, but I
couldn't afford these) on a couple of microphone stands. These cost about
AU$450 each (that's approx. ?200 or US$300, but you can probably get them
cheaper than I can in Aust. anyway)
This means, that without the need for power, you can get near studio
quality, to the point where I am considering using this setup for the
master for the band's CD recording.

NB: the advantage of the C4000 is that they will get the ensemble better,
and they don't require 9 volt batteries (but they are twice to three times
as much).

Rolf Miezitis
Glenorchy City Concert Brass