Re: To BL or not to BL

David Lancaster wrote:

> > That being the case, I would strongly suspect that not very many would venture
> > into 'posher' mediums such as 20th Century concerts by string ensembles, wind
> > ensembles, opera and so on. Bandspeople are involved in brass bands because they
> > like brass bands, not because they are lovers of a wide range of mediums.
>
> Certainly that is true for a large number, but equally there are many
> with very diverse musical tastes.

Agreed. But I wonder what the ratio is? Perhaps we should get Nigel to do some kind of
poll along the lines of - how many players have been to another band's concert during
the last twelve months. And how many have been to the opera / orchestra concert etc?

Monkey said....

>   just trying to say that maybe we don't like
> > these 'avant gard' things 'cos we don't understand them and don't want to for
> > that matter!

David said...

> Wow - it's very dangerous to generalise to this extent - I'm not
> entirely happy about you making these claims on 'our' behalf!!!

There is a 'maybe' in there, and it is a only a suggestion. But don't you think there
is some truth in it?

> Bands have been looked down upon by the broader musical establishment
> for far too long - I feel very strongly that we should be
> demonstrating the fallacy of the cloth cap image rather than
> reinforcing it.

I agree that bands have been looked down upon. I'm sure there is no doubt about that.
I am not sure what the ideal answer is really, perhaps a happy medium somewhere??

> David
> (from a comprehensive in Wigan)

Which one?

> PS thanks for the ongoing debate which has rekindled my interest in
> the list.

No worries - I am enjoying it too!!

Monkey