Rules - signing for areas

I've just been told by our Contest Secretary that I have to sign the new
player for our percussion section within the week in order for him to play at
the area. Our area is on the 26th March. I understood that you had 28 days
before a contest to sign new players. Is my secretary right - does anybody
know?

Cheers

Paul Williams