Re: To BL or not to BL

Jeremy wrote:

> To add a rather late view - (Frank Rentons dog ate my modem lead) --- no
> really - it did -- I don't like Songs for BL - I also don't like Salamander
> or Cloudcatcher. I don't think that any of the pieces are rubbish or poorly
> written. In fact I think parts of Cloudcatcher are immense and hugely
> atmospheric - I just don't enjoy listening to it. The same applies to the
> other 2 pieces both of which I have worked on - BL for the Nationals and
> Salamander for the Open. I also spent a day listening to Salamander at the
> European 2 years ago and thought the same. There is a big distinction
> between saying something is c**p and that you don't like it.

I also wrote that these were 'not pieces for my Desert Island',
though not because they are too modern.  Neither Howarth nor McCabe
are primarily known as composers, and the fact that we rely on
them to push back the boundaries of our repertoire is
disappointing since there are so many good guys (and girls) out there
at the moment.

> I do rather object to some of the smug, superior posturing that a few list
> members indulge in, adopting a self imposed position of superiority in terms
> of their attitudes towards such pieces. I have a mental picture of them
> sitting on Mount Olympus staring down at the riff raff stroking their beards
> and shaking their heads in pitying disbelief.

You obviously don't mean me since, as you know,  I don't have a
beard, and like you do not need to climb mountains in order to
look down at people...

> The most satisfying thing is - I have heard most of them play. Hee hee hee.

Now that has got me thinking!  I did hear you a couple of times with
Hyde in my days in the deep south...    This is the stuff of private
correspondance.

> Jeremy

David

PS 'Frank Renton's dog ate my modem lead' easily beats 'Harrison
Birtwistle took me for a curry' hands down.  Well done!