Re: Mini Disc Recording - Recording to CD

Dear Kevin

I don't think direct to disc on a PC is really feasible - especially were an
image file of the audio track is created first (on your hard drive) before
creating the CD.  But I'm not entirely sure...

If you are fussy about sound quality it is best to avoid the line inputs on
any soundcard that is mounted >>inside<< a PC - the signal to noise ratio is
usually quite poor.  Some of the soundcards with connections outside the
machine (in a break-out box) such as the Layla (by Event Electronics) are of
an excellent quality (ie low noise) but are very expensive.

The best approach is to transfer the un-edited recordings to your computer
via a digital connection -- I think the SoundBlaster 256 Live card that you
have has a digital (S/PDIF ((Sony/Panasonic Digital InterFace) connection.
If you have one of these on your recording device then you are flying.

In terms of Software for editing and mastering - I'd suggest SoundForge
(which is several hundred pounds) or better still Cool Edit 2000 which can
be downloaded from the following site --
http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html
It costs 69 dollars (if you buy it...) and can perform most of the key
editing and mastering tasks.

The full blown version, Cool Edit Pro (which I use mostly) allows 64 stereo
&/or mono tracks to be edited and mixed together.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Michael Alcorn
Comber Band