Re: Contest Music by Wilfrid Heaton

Rubbish.  I have spent many happy nights playing La Gazza Ladra, The
Planets, Pictures at an Exhibition, Scheherazade, Tchaik 5, Rhapsody in
Blue, Danse Bacchanale, Le Chasseur Maudit, and the best bass trombone
part in the repertoire, Prelude and Mazurka from Coppelia by Delibes.
But generally,  I choose to make my amateur music in the brass band.
Incidentally, all orchestra jobs I have done have paid me handsomely and
for fifty pounds a night, I will play whatever they put in front of me.

But I made the choice when I was very young that I wasn't going to
become a professional musician.  Instead, I study English Language and
Literature at University, and next year I will train to become an
English teacher in Secondary Schools.  When (as has been the case this
last semester) I have had to read The Canterbury Tales (yes, all of
them) I like to go to band and let off some steam - when (as was also
the case this last semester) we have done Cloudcatcher twice, that
simply cannot happen and, to be frank, my time could have been much
better spent doing university work.
--
Tim Morgan