RE: Mini Disc Recording - Recording to CD

HI Kevin!

I wouldn't do it, myself, except as a tertiary backup recorder.  As it is, I
record with a Tascam DA30 mkII  (44.1KHz) as my primary and a Sony D3 DAT
(48KHz) as my secondary recorder.  I've had enough problems in the past with
buffer underruns in making CDs on my computer, that I wouldn't trust one for
recording, unless it is purely for experimental purposes and backup.

Another good reason not to do it is the difficulty of putting in the track
IDs on the fly.  Much better (IMHO) to record on DAT and transfer the data
from the tape to the hard disk via a digital input card (like my Zefiro ZA2
card) and then edit and burn the CD at my leisure (?!).

I can't speak with experience of your particular Soundblaster, but the ones
I have used and others that I have read about on DAT-Heads mailing list or
rec.audio.pro are considered rather noisy, either due to the low quality
input stage components, or the placement of the input stage in the horribly
noisy environment found inside a computer.  It is much better in my opinion
to keep the A to D section outside the computer box.  I did make a couple of
my first CDs using my old Soundblaster AWE32 card through it's line input.
There is definitely more noise present on the CD than there is in the
subsequent attempt using the Zefiro card.  (we are talking about maybe 80 to
85dB dynamic range with the analog input, compared with 90 to 95 dB using
the DAT recorder and digital input card)

Go ahead an experiment, however!  Please let us know how it works!