Re: Contest Music by Wilfrid Heaton

I wrote:

> >PS I think the cornet cantilena over those trombone chords is pure
> >magic and the cadenza is the only way it could possibly end.   Can I
> >claim my pint?

and Tim replied:

> Afraid not...you see, you used an arty-farty word which us 'laymen'
> won't understand.  I take it cantilena means tune?  I'll buy you a
> babycham instead...

and I say:

Done!   A pint of babycham, please.  And grovelling apologies if my
attempt to describe Mr Heaton's fine melody with a degree of accuracy
caused offence.  There is, after all, only one type of melod... oops,
sorry: tune.   And what's a layman?

> And whether it is the only possible ending or not, there is no denying
> that that cornet cadenza has become a test-piece within itself.  I
> guarantee  that at the Masters, there will be people counting or even
> timing that top C sharp on a stopwatch - and then they will say things
> like 'Oooh Band A only played it for 8 seconds, whereas Band B played it
> for 12 - I think Band B should win...'

I'm sure that you are right.  Sad but true.  One of the few certain
things about band contests is that everyone will have their own set
of criteria.

> I don't deny that is beautiful music, but it is called Contest Music and
> was commissioned as such...and, first and foremost, that is what it is.

No.  First and foremost it is music.

David