Re: High and mighty

kavteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Fair enough point Monkey, but what about an up and coming player that has started
> with say a 4th section band and has the opportunity to play in a 2nd section band.
> Should he limit his musical growth due to his loyalty ?

Probably not, but I doubt if he would be 'using' the 4th section band.

> Unfortunately in all areas of sport we see good players chop and change teams in
> the interest of there own growth (mostly financially)

I agree. Unfortunately, most sportsmen are not in their game for morals. More for
their pocket. However, of course their are other factors involved. If the public are
willing to pay often over - inflated costs and the media pump millions into such
things, inevitably the upward spiral is always going to result in players earning
fortunes.

> Also "loyalty" is a two way street - I have witnessed brass bands only supporting
> their young players once these players reached a level that the band could "use"
> and then wonder why the players want to step up a rung with another band !

Fair point. My general argument remains though that banding, although certainly not
it's own, can often lack general loyalty and commitment.

Monkey