Players payments

Peter Younghusband wrote:

> Roy Taylor wrote:
>
> > On another topic, all this recent prattle about fees and reimbursements etc.
> > irritates me somewhat.  I've never been paid anything by any band I've been a
> > member of.  Perhaps I've been in the wrong bands but it isn't the norm down here
>
> You are correct. As far as I know, no band in Australia pays it players expenses.
> But over in the UK, it's a slightly different story for some bands, as we've been
> hearing.
>
> Monkey

I've certainly guested with a number of bands in Australia which have paid my expenses
(not that I wanted to receive anything).  I have also been on a number of committees
when the request for expenses by a member has been dealt with.  Some bands have paid
regularly for travel expenses for players they really want (and are unlikely to get if
they don't pay).  Some bands have a hard and fast policy never to pay.

I don't believe one can have a completely inflexible policy.  If the band has a few
quid and the player can't afford to come without some help (and he or she is worth
it!) then why not help them out?  Equally, it would be unhealthy (financially) for
bands to get into the habit because it would begin a ratchet of payment (an
expectation) that would be well nigh impossible to turn backwards.  I should add that
I have never been paid in Australia to play as a regular member.  England is
different.  The expectation is there (and so is the money!).  I gratefully received
the money whilst there.  But I still would have played without the payment.  But some,
particularly students, could not.

Glenn McGowan