Re: Composers?

Hi Bill.  Where have you been....are you snowed under ?  Your queries
brought back lots of memories.   Punchinello ?  remember playing it as a kid
on the bandstand  (shush...over 50 years ago...and BB&CF,etc.) in the days
when all the band lived in the village (and no-one got paid...not even the
bandmaster, or would dream of leaving for another band as they would get
shot at dawn ! }  Re: the hymn Gresford...I have never heard it but I
believe it was written to commemorate one of the worst mining disasters in
history when 264 miners lost their lives in the Gresford colliery tragedy in
September, 1934.  The pit was near Wrexham, North Wales, and the men are
still buried underground to this day.   I used to cover that area and was
actually in Gresford colliery doing a newsfilm job the very hour the
devastating news came through that the mine was to close for good.   The
colliery was demolished and there is an industrial site with factories on it
now.   All the other pits In North Wales were also closed.   Still, good to
know the hymn is still being played...and the good news is that I believe
the Gresford Colliery band is still in existence.   Have you seen the
discussion about players getting paid ?  Personally....I have never made a
halfpenny out of banding.....in fact have lost a helluva lot of money in
lost earnings, BUT the players in our top bands are so b.....y good I think
they should ALL get paid for their talents !    Gormless
footballers...so-called pop stars...earn thousands every week....but due to
the musical snobs in the U.K. brass bands are looked down on.    Sorry, must
go now and hide and practice with the Wright and Round tutor again , in
readiness for this week's big concert.  Sorry for the history lesson.   By
the way.....have you heard the rumour that Big Chap's mates Ernie and Arnie
are emigrating to Canada ?   Cheers.   Dave.