NWMBBA Derby Contest - Sunday 6th Feb

Hi List,

Did anyone go to this contest on Sunday just gone?  I'm probably opening up
a can of worms here but I feel strongly enough to ask the members of the
list who were there about their feelings of the results.

Before I go any further I should point out that any opinions I am making are
those of me personally and not those of the band which I play for.  The name
of the band does not matter (some of you will know anyway), 'I' am the
player who is unhappy and I don't want to get the band into strife.

If anybody else felt that the results were not at all reflective of the true
standards of playing then I would like to hear from you.  I'm not trying to
be slanderous to the contest, the organisers or the adjudication but simply
have a need to understand why the bands were placed as they were.

As a very self-critical player and one who constantly analysis his own band,
I have to say that the standard of playing was better than that of most
bands in the section (I did not hear all and therefore cannot pass complete
judgement) and certainly not worthy of a very low placing.  A number of
people in the audience (not our own supporters) had also commended the
performance, so this is not my sole opinion.  I'm not a bad loser, when you
play badly (or of a lesser standard than other bands in the section) you can
expect to be placed low down.  When you play well (as yesterday) and get
placed very low, it's devastating.  I had *never*, in ten years of banding,
left a contest feeling so angry and disappointed with a result as I did
yesterday.

At the end of the day it's only a small contest with a handful of bands and
the results doesn't matter one little bit.  Milton Keynes is this weekend
and as a band (and personally as a soloist) the mind game has to concentrate
on next week - and then the Area.  I may be very wrong to have expected
better results, and if this is so I would appreciate comments as to why - if
only to help me to understand the reasons and feel less angry.  Like I say,
losing is fine when you deserve it.

Thanks for listening,

Jez