Re: Composers

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions regarding
Punchinello and the Miners Hymn (Gresford). I am delighted to find that
there are so many bandsmen familiar with Punchinello which  to use the
North American term is a "A kick ass" march.
But is it still being played by the young squirts of today?
I got the impression that British Bands no longer march judging from a
few postings.
If this is true, it's a shame because at one time (when I was a
stripling) the local band was the pride of the village and certainly was
on display at every opportunity. In my own case,  I remember the annual
Durham Miners Gala where the local bands led their own miners to the
"big meeting". I suppose I should refrain from saying it (but I won't)
but maybe there was more local pride in those days.
And then, of course, the "real marches" (none of your "artsy fartsy tone
poems")  were played by real bandsmen who were proud to lead their local
contingents.
Those marches would include Punchinello, Old Comrades, The Thin Red
Line, Colonel Bogey and don't forget Belphagor (Sure it's spelled wrong
but it will sound just as good!).
Thank you to David Williams who gave me the history of Gresford.
For those of you who don't know the hymn I am truly sorry because in my
opinion the majesty of it would bring tears from a stone.
Please play it, it's what brass bands were all about at one time.
Brass bands were not a frivolous source of entertainment for the
mindless masses the way the modern so called entertainers are.
Brass bands don't need to compete with the Spice Girls or their ilk but
to compare them is rather like "casting pearls before swine".
It would be marvelous if all artists and musicians could be paid but in
this old guy's opinion money has little to do with talent and I believe
that the money thing is probably a recent phenomena.
Of course, I cannot speak as a guru on the entire band scene but I can
say that it's folly to generalize. For instance, the few miner's bands I
remember were NOT entirely supported if at all by benevolent employers
but by miners welfare funds where each miner paid a few pennies every
payday to support his recreational centre and band. I realise that in
the South of England there were enlightened employers who probably for
many reasons including paternalistic and tax write-offs did support
works bands financially and indeed paid a bonus to their bandsmen. I
don't personally know of any bandsman in the North who was ever  paid or
indeed had a "cushy" job although more than a few had better jobs
because of their above intelligence and abilities in the mining field.
I wonder if that spectacular cornet player Cliff Midgeley from Blackhall
Colliery grew rich as a player? Probably not but we were enriched by his
playing and lined up to hear him play the Post Horn Gallop on a real
post horn!
Did I ever make any money as a bandsman?
Most certainly, it was a poor year when I didn't make half a crown or
five bob on Christmas morning when our band played carols at the local
pubs.
I never declared it neither except to my Mum!
My real rewards were in the love of music I have today and for that I
thank miner's brass bands.
I have lived far away from Britain for going on fifty years now but I
remember with affection the bands I knew and feel in my heart I'm still
part of the scene.
So, all I wish of you is to stay traditional and continue to love your
music whether you are paid or unpaid.
Cheers,
BillW