A Band of Great Britain.

Hi again Bill. Re players getting paid as mentioned.  I am sure no player in
an average band expects to be paid for his hobby, but we must realise that
there are some who say, started playing maybe at six or seven...have worked
their way up to become exceptional musicians....maybe gone through music
college...but have no chance of getting into our symphony orchestras, so
they stay in banding.   There are many young brass musicians after years of
study still cannot make it a career.    In the past 30 years I have only
known one (a tuba player) who had a place in an orchestra.   The competition
is great !!   I personally believe that the lottery grants could be put to
better use in this country.   Some of the cash given for instruments could
be put to better use.   Here is my suggestion...which I suppose everyone
will shoot down in derision.   Some of the lottery cash could go to the
inauguration of a BRASS BAND OF GREAT BRITAIN that could show off the
brilliant talents of our musicians and possibly provide employment for the
young players who have spent years studying in colleges.  Maybe they would
be engaged on a contract basis or the like.   I am convinced that such a
band would be in great demand not only in this country but for tours abroad,
for broadcasts and prestige concerts.   It would earn income to supplement a
substantial grant from the Arts Council AND be an immense public relations
success for the good of ALL brass bands .   It would cost a lot, of course,
but only yesterday I was reading of a scheme to transform a huge disused
steelworks in Yorkshire into museum at a cost of 37m...half of which is to
come from lottery money; other large Millennium Commission projects for
Yorkshire appear are being condemned already.   Would'nt Yorkshire be a
great centre for a National Band, with its great tradition of banding ?   I
happen to think our U.K. bands are still the best in the world and deserve
better treatment.   It appals me that great bands have to rely on financial
support from say building societies (who may disappear one day) or our
National champions being sponsored by an instrument makers in France !
How about a serious debate on the subject ?
Regards. Dave.