Re: A Band of Great Britain.

-----Original Message-----

.   Some of the lottery cash could go to the
>inauguration of a BRASS BAND OF GREAT BRITAIN that could show off the
>brilliant talents of our musicians and possibly provide employment for the
>young players who have spent years studying in colleges.

I can think of several bands where the lottery grant has bought  new
instruments and uniforms. They now LOOK very smart but they SOUND just as
terrible as they did before, and promised educational projects have failed
to attract much attention from local kids. I too have wondered if all the
money could have been better used as part of a big national project to raise
the public's awareness of British brass music culture.
Brass bands are almost totally overlooked when it comes to the celebration
of Britain's cultural heritage. Media coverage usually involves cloth cap
and whippet imagery or headlines with "oompah" and "blowing their own
trumpet" type phrases...remember "tiddely-om-pom prom" when Grimethorpe did
a very serious contemporary music programme at the Proms? Public perception
of what it is all about and where it came from DOES need changing if the
heritage is to survive. Lottery money, whilst very welcome, has not helped
to increase the most vital thing...PUBLIC EXPOSURE.

I'm not convinced we need a National band though. The best existing bands
are good enough to promote anywhere.
It seems doubtful to me that a National Band would get off the ground.  Here
are a few reasons (random thoughts!)  :

In the present climate of multi-culturalism anyone wanting funds for
something traditionally British is accused of "xenophobia". If it also
requires intellect "elitism" is added to the charge sheet! Steel bands...OK!
Brass bands...sorry!

Existing musical organizations are already being squeezed out of existence
by the withdrawal of state funding. The change of government has not so far
halted the process. There seems to be no political will whatsoever to
encourage any new ventures.

Lottery legislation determines that funding will be for capital projects
only...so you can put a new roof on a bandroom, but you can't fund a concert
series or commission new music.

A professional band probably couldn't reach the standard of our best
existing bands...that much rehearsal and dedication paid at MU rates would
be prohibitive.

Who would be in it? The work schedule for groups like this (based on
experience of London chamber orchestras) is patchy and erratic. That tends
to rule out anyone with a proper day-job (e.g.. most brass banders) leaving
it only for freelance musicians, who survive by following a wide variety of
activities. Brass bands comprised exclusively of these orchestrally trained
players (even if they originally came from bands) don't sound like proper
brass bands...I was in London Collegiate brass, SO I KNOW!

Where is the audience for it? All the brass band concerts I have been to
have been predominantly attended by brass band players. This group would
surely have to reach a wider audience to be viable. Attendance at orchestral
concerts is now at an all time low throughout the World. Classical CD sales
are way down.

Having said all that, if someone does form a National band can I be in it
please?
In the meantime how about a campaign for a bandstand to be built in every
possible public place...now the lottery COULD fund those!

Andy Callard

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/index.htm