Re: Composers

Bill Walker wrote:

>I got the impression that British Bands no longer march judging from a
>few postings.

I play with Clydebank Burgh Band in Scotland, who do march twice a year
(once for Remembrance Day and once for a thing called Lanimer Day in Lanark)

>And then, of course, the "real marches" (none of your "artsy fartsy tone
>poems")  were played by real bandsmen who were proud to lead their local
>contingents.
>Those marches would include Punchinello, Old Comrades, The Thin Red
>Line, Colonel Bogey and don't forget Belphagor (Sure it's spelled wrong
>but it will sound just as good!).

We play all those - it's "Belphegor" (you were very close) along with a few
others. I think the newer marches are really best suited for concerts and
competitions (just a personal opinion). The old ones certainly go down well
on Remembrance Day. I think it's good to remember tradition, but it's also
good to evolve as the brass band has done.

Kirsty