RE: Blister?

I do quite a bit of teaching myself and have seen similar problems....
extremely chapped lips, sore little blisters but not cold sores. Have you
thought this student may be allergic to the metal of the mouthpiece? Try
gold plated instead of silver or vice versa. Plastic mouthpieces are now on
sale and there is a new brand of wooden mouthpiece available, but is rather
pricey. A couple of my pupils now play on the plastic kind and have had no
problems with sore lips after playing... good luck.