Re: A Band of Great Britain.

O.K. folks...it is a "pie in the sky" idea I admit...in the hope it might
provoke some debate on the future of banding for this century.....because I
fear the present trend towards more and more contesting (and less
entertaining) is going to have a negative effect.  Take a look at Jeremy
Bowman's letter re: his contest...and maybe you will get my drift. !  With
reference to Nostradamus231....what can I say ?   The image of a brass band
housed in an army glasshouse surrounded by barbed wire "somewhere in
Yorkshire" is very scary.    In my simple way I was, I suppose, imagining a
group on similar lines to a country's soccer,rugby,or cricket team, etc.   I
still think such a group would attract more publicity, and broadcast time.
These days do you ever hear a band played on a popular Radio 2 programme.
Well actually, last year I nearly crashed my car in shock when I heard a
march on a Sunday prog...it was played by the Royal Marines band...many on
the recording having been killed in the London park bomb incident.
Now...Solo Cornet,s letter was excellent !...one of the best I have read on
the list.  Read it carefully again and take careful note.   Just on one
point do I disagree, as I think it is possible to stir up more interest in
band music.     To our extreme astonishment a pal and I ( both in receipt of
the very generous state pension of about 67 a week) have in the past 12
months (at our own expense) been asked to give about 16 concerts (??) to
various organisations (handicapped clubs, old folks' homes, guilds, etc. We
are registered with our county voluntary organisation.  Yesterday, we played
for nearly two hours for villagers ...(.who had forgotten there was once a
band here) and had a rousing reception (honest).    Why ?  because I think
we played popular stuff from American Patrol.....to Chopin's Etude....even
Delibes' (Lakme).  At Christmas we travelled some 60 miles to play carols
for the Motor Neurone Association in a town which boasts a championship
section band, and others.   Next month we have been asked to accompany the
hymns (without organ) at a children's church service....and to play at a
Rotary Club dinner (in a very small city) with a collection to go to a
charity of our choice.   Instruments ?  A 50 year old dented Besson cornet
and a 300 student's flugel (thanks to Mastercard !)......now if only we
could get a lovely lottery grant.!   It is very enjoyable playing once again
(after a 25 year lapse) and maybe there is a faint hope of arousing some
interest in an area where hundreds of schoolchildren have had brass tuition
in the past 30 years...and then given up.   Oh, by the way....we don't do
any contesting.!   To JULIE SANDERSON....I would say ...you were very wise,
and you can still pursue your musical talents and it will enrich your life.
Best wishes to all.....even you contesting fanatics !!!  Cheers. Dave.