RE: Controversial Contest Results

> I played with Desford when we came last at the Nationals having been 1st,
> 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd the previous 5 goes.  Our conductors resignation was
> accepted and half the band left.... that's what a bad result can
> do for you
> !!
>
> Phil.
> Fodens.

That was the Devil in the Deep Blue Sea wasn't it?  Or as Desford played it
that day, 'The Devil Meets Dick Barton'!  Personally, I thought it was a
tremendous performance (and interpretation), and certainly very brave of
Stephen Roberts to interpret it that way.  I do remember lots of comments
along the lines of 'Desford were great but with that interpretation they
could just as easily be last as first'.

Gordon Simpson