Re: Classical composers & brass band

"Mangersnes, Steinar" wrote:

> I'm looking for original brass band music written by classical composers
> like G. Holst etc, but don't know where to look. Any one have any
> suggestions?

Hi, Steinar.

These are not strictly "classical" composers, (I don't think brass bands existed
when Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, etc. were writing) but I think we all get your
drift :)
Anyway, if you mean famous (or at least well-known) orchestral composers, try the
following:

Elgar - The Severn Suite (later transcribed for orchestra, not the other way
around, as some would have you believe!!)
Vaughan-Williams - Variations for Brass Band
Vaughan-Williams - Henry the Fifth
Holst - A Moorside Suite
Howells - Three Figures
Howells - Pageantry
Ireland - A Comedy Overture
Ireland - A Downland Suite
Henze - Ragtimes & Habaneras
Tippett - Festal Brass with Blues
Mathias - Vivat Regina
Richard Rodney Bennett - Flowers of the Forest
Gunther Schuller - Symphony for Brass & Percussion (Actually, for large Brass
ensemble, but close enough, and I believe Elgar Howarth has done a BB
transcription)
plus lots of others, but they escape me at the moment......

Cheers,
Adrian