Re: Controversial Contest Results

> I played with Desford when we came last at the Nationals having been 1st,
> 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd the previous 5 goes.  Our conductors resignation was
> accepted and half the band left.... that's what a bad result can do for
you

Yes, but he totally ignored the tempo markings and with the composer in the
box it was a pretty daft thing to do.

However I do sympathise - a similar thing happened to Hendon when they had
come 1st, 2nd, 1st in three years at the Area they suddenly came 8th on
Sounds in 1996. The adjudicator came out of the box saying that despite the
marking of fff in places the piece needed to be played in an understated
way.

This result was the beginning of the end for the band and I am sure that had
we won or come 2nd as most people thought that we should have, the band
would be around today.

Jeremy