Re: Marching

>From the mail I have received I am pleased to report some bands do march
at least twice a year.
Now that's good, not great but good!
The reason I asked about marching (which I hated) was that marching
shows a band to the public and they don't care if you march like
conciencious objectors provided you have shiny instruments and pretty
uniforms.
Getting the public to know you is the first step to getting their
support and to them showmanship is more important than musical ability.
In this country (Canada) visiting bands such as Black Dyke play to sell
out crowds. Military Bands are very popular especially bands who can
inflict five minutes of bagpipes on the crowd!
So in order to be recognized you must be seen.
The public even love those horrible drum and bugle bands who play at
Santa Claus and football game parades.
Surely this is the first step to getting financial support?
When the crowd say "this is our town band, don't they look great?" you
know you are winning.
Remember what Confucious said: "He who tooteth not his own horn, the
same shall not be tooted!"
There's no point in being the invisible great.
So start publicising!
Regards
BillW
PS. Grandad wanted to know how he could get an A3 sheet in his lyre.
Just take the A3 sheet to a duplicating machine and have it reduced (the
sheet) then buy a pair of those  great jam jar type eyeglasses.
Alteratively, you could staple it to your mates back.
When I was a lad, Grandpappies knew everything!
What happened to you Rod?
Bill