Re: Classical composers & brass band

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Stian Totland wrote:

> I think Mr. Mangersnes is looking for original compositions by classical
> composers, not transcriptions and arrangements.

I'll take this to mean 'Composers respected outside of brass bands'. :)

> Examples could be :
>
> A Moorside Suite by Gustav Holst
> A Downland Suite by John Ireland
>
> Anyone who have more suggestions?

Severn Suite - Edward Elgar
Ragtimes and Habaneras - Hans Werner Henze
Grimethorpe Aria - Harrison Birtwhistle
'Comedy' overture - John Ireland (although I think that this was
originally a wind band piece)
Something by Granville Bantock (not 'Prometheus Unbound', I think; is it
'Oriental Rhapsody'? 'The Frogs of Aristophanes' was re-arranged from
orchestral score, I think too)
There's some Percy Grainger stuff too, I think.

Do Cyril Jenkins and/or Percy Fletcher count? If so, we can add 'Life
Divine', 'Coriolanus', 'An Epic Symphony', and 'Labour and Love'.

Holst's Suites and 'The Perfect Fool' were originally wind band works,
arranged by the composer.

Dave Taylor