Re: Controversial Contest Results

The problem is with that idea is how many supporters the band takes with
them,
If you take a coach load of really loud supporters with you on the
day  and you play rubbish at the performance, the supporters are still
going to hold high score cards up.

Im only fifteen but ive been brought up in a brass family. Everyone
says that the old  "3rd place is ...... 2nd place is......." should be
abolished
and this new multi adjudicator panel that hold up cards should be
introduced. But does that not take the fun out of contesting in a way?when
we know how well we have done straight away.
When we don't win we are naturally upset but when we do its brilliant.
Its such a good feeling when the guy at the front says your number.
The problem with panel adjudication is it costs quite allot to get
all the adjudicators in to do the job. Therefore the prize money has
to go down meaning possibly less bands enter.

 My idea is simple but very effective. use a knock out system. Say there are
eight bands in a contest. band 1 band 2 band 3 Etc.
Someone draws two numbers out of a hat. And those two bands play each other.
They pick one movement from a test piece of their  choose. The adjudicator
then picks which band wins by signalling on his box a light (red light band
one wins
Green light band two wins) This means the adjudicator has both opinions in
his
head and does not have to listen to twenty more bands and therefore because
there are
only two bands  the result should be more accurate.  Suppose this
happened.....

band 1------|
		    |--------  band 1------- |
band 2------|				  |
						      |-----band 3
band 3------|				  |
		    |--------  band 3------- |
band 4------|

BAND 5 WIN

band 5------|
		    |--------  band 5------- |
band 6------|				  |
						      |----band 5
band 7------|				  |
		    |--------  band 6------  |
band 8------|

Band 3 and 5 play a whole test piece.
The loosing bands then have a play off and the best loosing band gets in th
play off
for pos 3,4,5. So suppose band 4 win the lossers play off they play again
against
band 1 & 6 and the adjudicator picks pos 3,4 and 5. So then nobody gets last
place.
The only problem i can see with this methord is time, but if bands move
quicker on
and off stage this could speed it up alot. There must be a way to it
do it. This methord is probally only good for competitions with smaller
numbers.
The alternative is to hear all the bands then the top six play off. Any
ideas?

James Parkinson