Subject: BANDS to the Rescue ?
Author:  <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> at smtpgate
Date:    12/02/00 09:16

Whilst listening to a splendid performance by BESSES on Listen To The Band,
last night....(lovely solo Janet !!) another "Pie in the Sky" idea hit me.
Frank Renton mentioned how Besses had hopes of a big tour next year IF they
could get the money.   Younger bandsmen may be surprised to learn the band
even toured Australia in the last century (with different players I hasten
to add).   Now why can't they (and other bands) be assisted from all that
lovely LOTTERY CASH ?    Now here is my outrageous idea !    I believe the
first thing visitors to our doleful Millennium DOME in London see as they
enter is a MACDONALDS !! Would,nt it be great if the first thing they saw
was one of our great brass (or military) bands in a splendid bandstand. ?
The best bands in the world showing what British bands can do ...and I
include those wonderful girls whose efforts deserve every encouragement.
Each band could have a week's engagement with a damn good fee.....to help
them keep going.   It would be great publicity....I bet folk would love
it.....it could even transform the media's attitude.   Now I wonder if that
guy from Mickey Mouse in France has an e.mail address....or failing that who
is that guy in Downing Street responsible for the disaster ?    Before I go
back to practice in my cave in the Welsh hills I must congratulate the BBC
for an extremely interesting  T.V. programme about the old Cyfarthfa
Ironworks band, from Merthyr in South Wales, shown a week ago on BBC 2.   It
was the most interesting programme about a band that I have ever seen and
featured John Wallace and professional musicians playing the Cyfarthfa
bands' old instruments,..and their music from the mid-19th century.
And..oh dear....it revealed that most of the bandsmen were
professionals....and PAID by the old ironmaster Crawshay.  The hand-written
music was incredibly difficult to read and play.   Yes, a very good programme
BUT shown at 6. 30 AM. on a Saturday morning when I suppose most bandsmen
(and girls ) were just off to bed (not together....oh heck..... you know what
I mean)....Cheers.   Dave.