Disappointments

As I have indicated before I have started playing again after a 43 year
rest.
The band I play with is wonderful and everyone is so talented.
My problem is:
50 % of the first Baritone parts are too difficult for me and we have
very few second baritone parts so as a consequence I struggle and
practise parts bar by bar and often think I'm not getting anywhere
because some of the notes are either too fast or way too high or too
low.
Has anyone any clues as to answer my problems?
I'm a better reader now than I have ever been but the actual mechanics
of playing can be hell.
Should I keep on with the bar by bar routine and accept the fact that 8
times out of ten I'll make mistakes no matter how hard I practise or
take easier music and try to perfect it?
Will learning to play by ear help?
I have been trying to work on the miserable stuff and give myself some
relief by playing music I like but by then my lips are "basket cases".
I suppose I'm addressing my questions to old buffers but at 67 I know
I'll never be great but I would like to play better.
Ideas please?
BillW