Besses and Web.

Hi Janet.   Blimey ! I did'nt know a band had played in the Dome.  Ref.
Besses' hopes for the tour next year would it be possible for you to give us
all some gen on the proposed plans...i.e. is it only Australia ?   Simon
Gresswell's suggestion re. a T.V. company is very good.  You appear to be on
a good basis with BBC TV North....and how about Granada TV ?  What amount
are you looking for ?   Having been in the game I would advise you to get as
much publicity as poss.  Try and find a keen freelance news agency in
Manchester to push out stories....these stand more chance than free "press
releases" that are usually binned.  I am sure the Manchester Evening News
would probably give you a write-up.
Then, of course, write lots of lots of letters to possible sponsors....maybe
you would get some sort of deal from British Airways, or Quantas (if going
Oz), (how about Fosters).  If the band is going "down under" surf the net
for all the daily papers and TV companies in Australia . (maybe Carol Wills
would help)
and e.mail them with your plans.  If you decide to go ahead I would contact
your M.P. for assistance ...as you would be representing the U.K. in the
venture.
Personally, I think it could be done...and be a great success.  I will think
up some picture opportunities for you if you want.    Thanks for the info.
on the Besses' Website.   It is very good and makes fascinating reading.
Just a couple of thoughts re. band websites.  In the main bands are sort of
just "preaching to the converted".   To get anything out of them bands need
to get as many links as possible onto other sites...say the community
section of local authorities gov.sites, and any other groups in their area
(who might engage the band).   I set up my own website about three months'
ago (not much to do with bands) but the local authority asked for a link,
then the Welsh Tourist Board.  There is even a lady in Bahrein who has added
one (for folk who used to go to local schools).   To get folk interested you
have to change it regularly or they get bored.   I have even now got local
weather forecasts on mine, and started using controversial items.   In
December I had 200 hits, then last month it went up to 400, and this week I
learned that the British Journal of Photography have listed it on their
website www.2000net.com/webmaster  as an example of what can be done.   Of
course...in the end it is all part of my cunning plan to make the local
authority and folk realise they should have a band once more, and what a
loss it is to the resort.   I have never been able to get them interested in
the past.....and now they have plans to build a bandstand in our lovely park
(it has boating lake, etc.)......
(having demolished two)....and there is no  band to play in it !!
Soon I will be downloading old pics. of the band, playing to hundreds on the
promenade, etc......and the councillors will think what is that old b.....r
up to ?   I know they are a bit worried now because I am showing how they
have let a lovely area decline.  Also....with a cheap little digital camera
I am able to get pictures on the same day.  Any listers wanting advice
please let me know.    Good luck to the band, Janet.     Dave.
(www.colwyn1.freeserve.co.uk)