Contesting, again

	I have one or two points to make in rebuttal to David Lancaster, but
they are mostly by way of clarifying my previous remarks.

	First, I am well aware of the role brass bands have played in the social
history of Britain, and this has been one of the attractions of banding.  I,
myself have spent a long while in the union movement in the US, as a member of
unions, and as an organiser.

	Second, as a composer, I am personally well aware of the challange of
limitations.  Virtually everything I have ever written has been constrained by
available players.  Indeed, the task of writing for band is daunting, as there
is such a large palette compared to what I has been available to me in the past.

       I have played team sport, too (even cricket!).  I suppose what I meant by
my remarks on competition is that there is a time and place for everything, and
maybe sport is, and music is not it. I was very competative on jazz stages as
young man, but I don't play that way anymore..  I don't think that it is a
question of having outgrown it, but I am not competative that way now, and I
don't regret it.

--
Robin L. Oye
29 Bumbletown Road

SEND MAIL TO:
PO Box 392
Hancock, MI 49930-0392
USA/EUA

Paula M. Oye & Robin L. Oye, Writers, Editors, Researchers
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/cyberscribes

ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION!
The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working
conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site
<http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu@xxxxxxx>.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6:34 (KJV)