Re: Contesting

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lancaster <d.lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 February 2000 22:16
Subject: Re: Contesting

>The concept of a 'Movement' is now rather archaic and anachronistic,
>but there doesn't seem to be a better term to describe the very rapid
>growth, development and popularity of bands and their music in the
>nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  It stands alongside other
>'movements' such as those of Trade Unionist's Movement, Womens
>Movement, Labour Movement and so on which form an important part of
>British history over the last couple of hundred years.

David

My dictionary defines a movement as 'a group of people with a common
ideology', and defines 'ideology' as 'a body of ideas that reflects the
beliefs of a (group).  In the case of Trades Unions, Suffragettes, Labour
etc., the word seems appropriate.  I wonder what you think the common
ideology that binds brass bands together is?

It also occurs to me that all the examples you give above all had a central
organising body.  I don't think there has ever been such a body for brass
bands, has there?  Given that brass bands have been around for about 180
years, the 'movement' seems to have had some trouble getting moving.

Some of 'our' most popular composers (Philip Sparke, Philip Wilby, Gilbert
Vinter and others) ... (have) 'broken the mould' of what contest pieces are
supposed to be...

As a non-musicologist, I would be very interested to hear exactly what
contest pieces are 'supposed to be', and how the three composers  you
mention above have broken the mould in this respect.

Alec